We comply with the latest directives from the Governor of New Mexico to limit the spread of COVID. Please see our current offerings. We have outdoor table service and the best takeout in town at izanami. Serene lodging includes outdoor bathing from 10 am - 8 pm. Keep current by signing up for our newsletter .
The Spa in the Covid era
Ten Thousand Waves is committed to keeping everyone safe— guests and staff alike--by going beyond the latest guidelines given to us by our Governor and the CDC. There is presently a directive from the Governor that visitors from outside New Mexico must quarantine for 14 days. Click here to view the most recent directive.
- Private hot tub suites by appointment
- Cozy outdoor dining and takeout & delivery from izanami
- Lodging with complimentary hot tub/sauna and contactless check-in
All soaking areas are fully private.
- Each private bath has access to its own dedicated shower, toilet, vanity, and changing area.
- Under current conditions, we make additional effort to sanitize surfaces and high-touch areas in each tub area after each guest.
- Pristine tub water is assured by a state of the art water system. According to the CDC (scroll to 'Pools, Hot Tubs, and Water Playgrounds') “There is no evidence that the virus that causes COVID-19 can be spread to people through the water in pools, hot tubs, spas, or water play areas.”
- We regret that we cannot currently provide a communal bathing experience or massage services
In addition to the emphasis we have always devoted to cleanliness, we now spend additional time sanitizing all public and private areas.
- Public areas are disinfected every two hours
- Hot tubs are disinfected after every use and fogged daily with hydrogen peroxide
- Lodging rooms are sanitized and fogged between each stay
- We have structured ample decontamination time between guests in lodging, and hot tub suites
- Our prices reflect the extra time and labor for sanitation
- We have set capacity limits throughout the resort
- We require social distancing throughout the spa
- There is no communal bathing
Masks and Barriers
- Guests and staff alike wear face masks at all times in public areas, walking on the grounds, during massage treatments, and when interacting with each other.
- Plexiglass barriers are placed in strategic locations
- All interior spaces are checked for adequate fresh air exchange by carbon dioxide monitoring
- Windows and doors are cracked open in the spa and restaurant, even in cooler weather
- HVAC systems provide fresh air makeup
- Vent fans in all bathrooms assure constant air exchange
- Kitchen hoods at izanami create negative pressure in the entire restaurant, bringing in fresh air
- All tubs are open air
- MERV13 filters are used in all HVAC systems. MERV13 is the highest rating for normal forced air systems, filtering out 85% of all particles 1 micron in size and larger. COVID aerosols average 3 microns.
- HEPA filters are in all massage rooms and in many of the smaller rooms of the spa. HEPA filters capture 99% of 1 micron aerosols.
Germicidal UltraViolet Light
- There is upper air germicidal UV light in the spa lobby, the izanami dining rooms, and in many of the offices throughout the spa. This creates a 'killing zone' in the air of the top part of each room. COVID aerosols are destroyed in an average of 16 seconds when they enter this zone.
- we use 254 nanometer UVC, the most effective wavelength for killing pathogens
- the UV is active 24/7 and can operate safely even while spaces are occupied
- dosimeters to measure stray UV in the lower part of the room assure that there is no exposure to skin or eyes
- In-duct germicidal UV is used in the HVAC systems at the restaurant
Staff COVID testing
- All staff are tested regularly
- If there is ever a postitve test result, it is reported to the NM Department of Health within 4 hours
- There is a mandatory 2 week quarantine if there is ever a positive test result
- Staff is on full pay if required to quarantine
- Contact tracing is done immediately
We offer cozy and adventuresome outdoor dining. Go to food to see details of how we keep you warm and safe.
- All lodging, hot tubs, and restaurant reservations are by appointment only; we cannot accommodate those without a reservation.
- Spa and izanami reservation phone lines are open daily—call 505- 982-9304. Dining reservations can also be made online.
- Click here for current hours
If you want a more detailed explanation of how COVID is transmitted and what we do at the Waves to mitigate transmission, click here for an illustrated slide show. (not available on handheld devices--use a computer screen) Maximize the image on your screen and use your right arrow to move between slides.
It's not the same, but in many ways our new normal is better than the old normal:
- Convenient parking is abundant
- Contactless check-in is available for lodging
- With fewer guests, every visit to the spa is a concierge experience
- Every hot tub environment has its own private changing area
We are grateful to the state of New Mexico and Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham for providing clear and effective guidelines so that we can soak and spa safely. We appreciate the patience shown by our guests and our Waves family as we take extra effort to keep everyone safe. We look forward to seeing your masked faces and smiling eyes soon!