We take extraordinary measures to limit the spread of COVID. Those receiving spa services must be fully vaccinated. Beginning September 1, there will be vaccination requirements for hot tubs, lodging, and izanami as well. Please see current offerings for details of our policies. Keep up with changes by signing up for our newsletter .
We have modified all spaces and policies at Ten Thousand Waves to minimize direct and aerosol transmission of COVID. Here are some of the extraordinary efforts we make to keep you safe.
We have always emphasized the cleanliness of our facilities
- Public areas are disinfected regularly
- Hot tubs and massage rooms are cleaned after every use
- Lodging rooms are thoroughly cleaned between each stay
- Even our behind the-scenes work and storage areas are spotless
- We have set capacity limits throughout the resort
- Access is by reservation only
- We require social distancing in all public spaces
- We are requiring staff and guests to be vaccinated for COVID
- Click here to understand the reasoning behind this decision
- All interior spaces are checked for adequate fresh air exchange by carbon dioxide monitoring
- Windows and doors are cracked open in the spa, massage rooms, and restaurant, even in cooler weather
- HVAC systems provide fresh air makeup
- Vent fans in all bathrooms exhaust outside to assure constant air exchange
- Kitchen hoods at izanami create negative pressure in the entire restaurant, bringing in fresh air
- All tubs are open air
- MERV13 filters are used in all HVAC systems. MERV13 is the highest rating for normal forced air systems, filtering out 85% of all particles 1 micron in size and larger. COVID aerosols average 3 microns.
- HEPA filters are in use in all treatment rooms and in many of the smaller rooms of the spa. HEPA filters capture 99% of 1 micron aerosols.
Germicidal UltraViolet Light
- There is upper air germicidal UV light in the spa lobby and the izanami dining room. This creates a 'killing zone' in the air of the top part of each room. COVID aerosols are destroyed in an average of 16 seconds when they enter this zone.
- We use 254 nanometer UVC, the most effective wavelength for killing pathogens. The UV is active 24/7 and can operate safely even while spaces are occupied
- Dosimeters to measure stray UV in the lower part of the room assure that there is no exposure to skin or eyes
- In-duct germicidal UV is used in the HVAC systems at the restaurant